Jason ZwiSenior Solicitor
LLB (Hons), BA (Otago University)
Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Dispute Resolution and Commercial Litigation
Jason is a commercial litigator who is well acquainted with the Court process and alternative dispute resolution. Before joining Morrison Mallett, Jason was a junior barrister at a distinguished Auckland Chambers, prior to which he worked at the Serious Fraud Office and at a top-tier firm. He has appeared numerous times in the High Court and is particularly focused on achieving pragmatic solutions for clients.
- Company, shareholder and director disputes.
- Wills and trusts disputes.
- Contractual and general commercial litigation.
- Property disputes, including commercial tenancy and conveyancing related disputes.
- Insolvency, liquidations and bankruptcies.
- Regulatory investigations and white-collar crime.
- Interim relief, including injunctions, freezing orders and summary judgment.
- Costs applications.
IMPORTANT RECENT CASES INCLUDE:
- Sayegh v Fermit NZ Ltd  NZHC 552 – Sole counsel on a successful application under the Companies Act 1993 to the High Court on behalf of a shareholder for provision of documents.
- Kinara Trustee Ltd v Infinity Enterprises Ltd  NZHC 1526 – Acted for a successful claimant in a High Court trial regarding Land Transfer Act fraud and estoppel regarding an equitable easement on commercial premises. Also acted on a parallel arbitration before Rodney Hansen CNZM QC. (junior to Andrew Barker QC)
- Yang v Lowndes  NZHC 2298 – Successfully opposed defendants’ application for split trial. The main proceedings settled after mediation. (junior to Greg Blanchard QC)
- R v Ross  NZHC 2552 – Acting for the Serious Fraud Office in a lengthy jury trial regarding a complicated, multiparty $40 million mortgage fraud. A range of complicated evidential, procedural and charging/pleadings issues arose throughout the proceedings. (junior to John Dixon QC)
- J v ASC1  NZHC 2706 – Acting in an appeal for a lawyer found guilty of misconduct by the Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal. Also appeared at the Tribunal level  NZLCDT 15. Name suppression was successfully maintained throughout proceedings. (junior to John Billington QC)
- Yozin v NZGT  NZHC 1390 – Acting in the High Court trial concerning the division of a complicated estate. The claims included testamentary promises, rectification and trust issues against the backdrop of complex land planning issues. (junior to Sandra Grant)
- Rintoul Group Ltd v Far North District Council  NZHC 1132,  NZAR 797 – Acting for a construction contractor in a successful claim against the Council for breach of process contracts in a tender process. The case involved issues of process contracts, implied terms and loss of chance. (junior to Sandra Grant)